“Only he can understand what a farm is, what a country is, who shall have sacrificed part of himself to his farm or country, fought to save it, struggled to make it beautiful. Only then will the love of farm or country fill his heart.”
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Closing out our summer travels, we spent two weeks exploring the Berkshires, where we had a home some 15 years ago. It hasn’t changed much, but that’s one of the things we love about it. Excellent theatre, great music, and some wonderful restaurants go nicely with the beautiful rolling countryside. As a photographer though, it’s the classic barns dotting the landscape that draw my eye. Nothing original here but there’s a reason these barns are so iconic – they really are quintessential New England. Here are a few of my favorite scenes from our time in the hills. To see more barns, as well as some of the adorable animals found in many of them, please visit my website at www.tinaschell.photoshelter.com , and click on “Farms of the Berkshires” Gallery.
“The first farmer was the first man. All historic nobility rests on the possession and use of land.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Life on a farm is a school of patience.”
“Listen to the falling rain, and crouch for warmth beneath the lee of some old barn.”
Many of the barns were abandoned, leaving details that appeal only to the photographer’s lens.
While others showed how strongly the farmers felt about home and country.
Note: All photos taken with Nikon D/300s
- Classic Red: Nikkor 18-200mm @50mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/60
- Among the Wildflowers: Nikkor 18-200mm @52mm, ISO 200, f/4.8, 1/400
- Spiffy: Nikkor 18-200mm @28mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/60
- Behind the Gate: Nikkor 18-200mm @38mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/30
- Little Barn, Big Barn: Nikkor 18-200mm @75mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/60
- Blue Sky, Red Barn: Nikkor 18-200mm @26mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/200
- Keep Out: Nikkor 18-200mm @31mm, ISO 800, f/5, 1/1000
- Red Door: Nikkor 18-200mm @32mm, ISO 800, f/11, 1/25
- American Pride: Nikkor 18-200mm @170mm, ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/320
- Colonial Flag: Nikkor 18-200mm @60 mm, ISO 800, f/11, 1/13