“Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.”
This week’s photo challenge is Renewal. Such a big word, it brings to mind many things; spiritual renewal, urban renewal, the cycle of life and death, the first breath of spring. I thought about all of these things and more, but decided to focus on the renewal that comes as we experience the pleasure and energy restoration of sleep.
“No day is so bad it can’t be fixed with a nap.”
Hard workers sometimes need to find a few moments to re-energize as they go about their daily business. Like the first mate on our Mekong River cruise above, or the Tuk-Tuk driver in Cambodia, sometimes you just need to catch some winks on the fly.
“A mother’s arms are made of tenderness, and children sleep soundly in them.”
Babies and young children seem capable of falling asleep anywhere, and of sleeping soundly despite any noise or distraction. Unless of course, their parents are trying to sleep as well 🙂
Not unlike children, animals seem able to sleep and dream with no regard for the troubles of the day or the challenges of tomorrow.
Alas, sleep is less easy for the grown-ups among us. Somehow we toss and turn, and the harder we try the longer we find ourselves staring at the clock or the ceiling or worse yet, our spouse beside us deep in his or her dreams with no regard for our wakefulness. As I head off to bed (and hopefully to sleep), I will close with some good advice from the well-known mystic, Rumi, who said, “Put your thoughts to sleep, do not let them cast a shadow over the moon of your heart. Let go of thinking.” Easier said than done, right?!
- Catching Some ZZZs- Nikon D/300s, Nikkor 70-200mm @300mm*, f/5, 1/125, ISO 200
- Waiting for a Fare – Nikon D/50, Nikkor 70-200mm @75mm, f/9, 1/100, ISO 400
- Peaceful Moment – Nikon D/300s, Nikkor 70-200mm @82mm, f/5, 1/50, ISO 200
- On Guard – Nikon D/300s, Nikkor 18-200mm @135mm, f/4.8, 1/160, ISO 400
- The Lion Sleeps – Nikon D/50, Nikkor 70-200mm @200mm, f/4.8, 1/125, ISO 450
- Catnap -Nikon D/50, Nikkor 70-200mm @340mm*, f/4.8, 1/125, ISO 450
- Contented Cow – Nikon D/50, Nikkor 70-200mm, 200mm, f/11, 1/400, ISO 400
* Lens extended using Nikon TC-17E II, 1.7x Teleconverter
Check out the Weekly Challenge HERE